Last Tuesday, Neil came home from work and said, “You know, for people whose logo carries the words “Purpose, Passion, Play”, we’ve been awfully serious lately!” I just looked at him blankly, thinking, “What do you mean? We’re the most fun-loving, playful we know!” Yet, when I really thought about it, I realized, by gosh, he’s right! Between the fatigue, the broken toe, the Trilotherapy studying and the in-depth self-analysis that I’ve been going through over the last few weeks, the last month or two has been pretty intense. Even the book I’m reading for ‘entertainment’ right now is pretty darn heavy! I’m reading “Infidel” the memoires of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a political rebel and activist who shares the horrors of her life in Africa and Saudi Arabia.
So we decided to break the cycle of intensity… and we started by watching the movie “Identity Theft” – pure silly, fun – a film that made us laugh and had a nice feel good message to it, too. Laughter is a great way to recalibrate the serious-o-meter!
I wondered, “Ok, so what next?” I pulled out some of the handouts that I give to people in my Lunch n Learn sessions to remind myself of the ways I can lighten up my life. I’m sharing some of these tips with you, now, in the hopes you’ll find them useful… or at the very least they’ll make you smile!
* Accept that some days you’re the pigeon and some days you’re the statue.
* Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
* Be physically active, even if it just means standing up at your desk every 15 minutes.
* Drive carefully. It’s not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.
* Never buy a car you can’t push.
* Know that nobody cares if you can’t dance well, so just get up and dance!
* Dance like nobody’s watching!
* Consider that the second mouse gets the cheese.
* Know that when everything’s coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.
* Think about birthdays as being good for you. After all, the more you have, the longer you live!
* Remember that you may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
* We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
* Be a truly happy person – enjoy scenery on detours!
* Express your gratitude for at least 3 things or people in your life, every day.
* Live life as the adventure it is meant to be – explore and delight in your findings!
* Close your eyes and turn your face toward the sun. Feel the warmth of the sunshine and breathe deeply.
* Do what you love to do more often.
* Accept that, unless you’re a dog, a little bit of chocolate won’t kill you.
* Flow. If you cannot flow, flee! (Take breaks from your tasks, duties and the people around you!)
* Continue to learn and grow!
* Aim to be in relationship and enjoy others, rather than worry about being right!
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org let us know what your favourite ways to lighten up are… and we’ll happily share them with our readers next week.
In the meantime, create a playful week!